Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Being Content

Sometimes we can be proud because we think we are not getting enough, and sometimes we can be proud in thinking that we don't need what we are being given. Either way is sin because we are not trusting God for all good things. I was talking to my Dad tonight about being content in my vocation and the places that God has placed me. It is so comforting to know that God has a perfect plan for me and that I am not my own. God has purchased me and called me His child, He has given me this life to glorify Him and serve him forever.

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. Hebrews 13: 5-6

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6: 6-8

Below is a prayer from the 'Lutheran Book of Prayer'...

Lord, You have prospered the labor of my hands and have given success to my undertakings. Oh, kind and gracious Father, grant me always a grateful heart, that I may never forget how completely unworthy I am of all the mercies and of all the truth You have shown Your servant. Grant me a lively sense of my responsibilities and obligations, which you have placed upon me. Deeply impress upon me the need of remaining humble, of trusting not in wealth or material goods, but in You, the living God, and in Your Son, my only Savior. Keep me mindful that You, who have so richly given me all things to enjoy, can quickly take away all that I have. Teach me, O God of love, to be rich in good works, always ready to help my brothers and sisters, ever willing to contribute, according to my ability, toward the building up of Your kingdom, both here and abroad. By the power of Your Spirit, help me to store up treasure not merely upon this earth, but especially in heaven, which Christ has procured for me by the payment of His precious blood. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this Bonnie. It is so true, trusting God and knowing that he has a perfect plan for me gives me peace in my vocation. I don't have to worry about what will come or already has happened... I can serve my customers and neighbors as unto the Lord. Of course in all of this i need friends to help me.

    The prayer is also very good! I will have to save it and pray that more often...

    Vic

    ReplyDelete