Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Family Night

Over the course of the last two months, our family was reading a book together and I am surprised at how disciplined we were to read a chapter almost every weeknight. The book we read was ‘Carry on, Mr. Bowditch’ by Jean Lee Latham. I highly recommend reading this book; it is a true story about a man named Nathanial Bowditch, a nineteenth century mathematician and navigator who always dreamed of going to Harvard but when unexpected circumstances occurred he found that the skills he had acquired while he was young, working as an indentured servant at a ship chandlery and while teaching his shipmates navigation on board helped him write the most influential navigation book of all time, Bowditch's American Practical Navigator. The book was so accurate that mariners today refer to it as ‘Your Bowditch’. Besides the story being very interesting, I enjoyed getting together in the living room everynight with our whole family, listening to my Dad read as we all sat and listened. Please let me know if you think of a book that we could read next.



4 comments:

  1. Great book! Your mother introduced it to me a long time ago. Since then I've read it with one of my classes at school and shared it with quite a few people.
    Once my Dad read us the book of Judges. I'll let you know if I think of other suggestions!
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book with my 6/7th grade reading class last year. We all really enjoyed it!
    The last book my dad read out loud to us was C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. Very Enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bon. Maybe I'll get it for Johnny's next read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel & I just bought it and can't wait to dive in!

    ReplyDelete